Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stars, Stripes, Kidney Stones, and Babies…

Don’t you just love the 4th of July?  Don’t you just love living in the land of the free, the home of the brave??  I do!!  And when you are expecting rain on those purple mountains majesties, but then it turns out lovely (not that we don’t appreciate the rain because of course we do!)—bonus!!

IMG_4549  My photo montage skills are sorely lacking…years (yes YEARSSS) ago, my dear sis-in-law, Jessica, brought me this old white window frame with the thought that I could maybe do something cool with it.  It took some time, but now it has new life housing a flag in my kitchen and I like it a lot-hooray!! 

IMG_4587 **We tried Bobby Flay’s Triple Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes (minus the ricotta, because someone forgot to purchase the ricotta, and yes that was me) and they were a tasty addition to a July the 4th morning, tasty enough to be repeated…

IMG_4588 **We boldly attempted Pioneer Woman’s flag cake this year and my Gramma Bev would be proud of the attempt, anyway.  I will remember to go with the FRESH and not FROZEN blueberries next year…

IMG_4590 **The idea was to go for the fruit-skewered pineapple centerpiece, but when Sam’s Club had NO pineapple to be found, we went for plan B, the watermelon basket…

IMG_4591 **Is this really the best family July 4th shot I could come up with??  Um, yes…

IMG_4616 **And do you not just love these hamburger and hot dog cupcakes that our fantastic neighbors brought over to celebrate with??!!  BIG HIT, that’s all I’m saying…

IMG_4570 Here’s my very sweet and funny nephew, Ben, attempting to stay with Aunt Kirsten (aww—actually I do know that I am not the draw here, but Cael lets me think that I am) after an awesome night of cousin-o-rama fun while his poor daddy was in the hospital for round #2 of attempted laser removal of an embedded kidney stone.  On the plus side, the cousins had mega fun, on the minus side, my poor little bro has to go back for round #3 at the hospital this week (sorry, Allen), where one way or another this stone will be removed.  I’ve decided I’m absolutely anti-kidney stone…

IMG_3504  Oh look!  It’s me, my favorite sis, Kari, Jamie (the favorite sis of one of my favorite sisters-in-law), and Jen, one of my favorite sisters-in-law, herself!  (I think I have all my bases covered…)  This pic is from March, when I got to go up to Seattle to surprise my sis for her b-day—so fun!!  So while this shot features one of my shoes, it does not feature the midsections of either Kari or Jen, both of whom have been with child.  But this big week, both lovely ladies birthed beautiful daughters!!  Hooray!!  So where I am in the shot above, picture a 5 lb, 8 oz , 16 inches long little lovely with dark hair (awesome for growing inside a troubled placenta and coming a month early)!!  And pretend Jamie is an 8 lb, 4 oz, 21 inches long dolly with lots of dark and you get the idea!!  Hooray again!!

Babies are way more fun than kidney stones…

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yes, while I have passed 0 kidney stones (my days are numbered since everyone in my family has had to except me) I have passed 6 children, essentially large kidney stones, right?

Looks like a fun holiday at your house!!

Kim said...

I have birthed three children and passed one LARGE kidney stone (the doctor scheduled me for surgery because he said there was no way someone could pass a stone that size.)I passed the stone and would have given birth again hands down. The drugs only work on my left side so it's like I am having the baby without the drugs. I would still have done babies not kidney stone.

yennu said...

What a delicious holiday you had. Much tastier then ours, however the hospital food was pretty good. I am doomed for kidney stones in the future, but this month just birthing a babe. I'm glad that all babies and kidney stones have been born =0) Enough excitment for this family!!