Monday, July 7, 2008

A Boy and His Shirt

This is Cael. He is 3 and has found what makes the world go around: it is his greatest possession and it may be the most important thing in our home right now-it is his $4.97 Wall-E t-shirt from Walmart. He wears it all day, wants to sleep in it at night, he has even worn it to church for the past 2 weeks (under an "approved" Sunday shirt).It is a major crisis when this beloved item makes it into the washer (which I had to sneakily do while he was in the tub) and then it can only be "air-dryed" after I stretch it as far as it will go (this was the biggest size we could find). The "Why-Wee" shirt (sorry about all the ""'s) has become so vital here, it makes me feel the slightest bit guilty about an incident years ago... My very nice little brother, Allen, had a beloved shirt of his very own, a forest green Ewok underoo's t-shirt. I could not stand to see him wear that thing for another day and so when I finally saw that shirt on the floor, I took it and ran! I ran and then I hid it from him, hid it totally good in a place he would never look--his dresser (so clever). Remarkably, he never actually found it (sorry, Al), but I did come clean and let him have his shirt back and I just had to learn to live with it. I guess when a shirt is that good, it just has to be worn, and worn well...

1 comments:

kthom said...

I had no idea of the level of love for "wa wee." Big Al seemed to fancy a few shirts if you'll remember....light blue Texas balloon shirt, weeks on end. As Sheryl Crow so eloquently stated...."If it makes you hap-peee, it can't be that baaaaaad!"
-yea, you're welcome :) xoxoxo