Monday, November 3, 2008

Granny B just might be smiling down on me...

Here it is--my first grand autumnal homage to my cute Gramma Bev...
"DINNER IN A PUMPKIN"
That's right- it is dinner and it is absolutely in a pumpkin!! My Gramma Bev made this seasonal delicacy for us years ago and sent me the recipe (numerous times) years ago. (I may be slow, but I am sincere...) The fact that we dined on our meal of stuffed orange squashy goodness at the end of Fast Sunday may have contributed to its tastefulness, but 7 out of 7 Goff's approved wholeheartedly!! We will definitely go for a repeat performance next Halloween...


Oooohh, delicious!! On the thumbs down side, there was no Gramma Bev homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie with the perfect crust to round out the meal!! I do know where Marie Callendar keeps her pies and I guess I could settle for a piece of one of those. Perhaps Bev's magic pie skills skip a generation or two and one/ all of my girls can inherit them?? Not to say that my mom doesn't make a mean pie, because she does. And by "mean" I'm saying delicious and I'm also saying that pies are not my forte--eating pie,yes; making pie, sadly no. On the thumb's up side, did I mention that I made dinner in a pumpkin??

4 comments:

Alison said...

Yes, I think Granny B is definately smiling down. I've been making pumpkin cookies for the last 2 weeks in her honor. One of my favorite memories of her was one halloween she made gigantic pumpkin cookies with frosting and jack-o-lantern faces with us. All I can say is YUM! I've made them every year since I think.
I can't BELIEVE I had forgotten about the dinner in a pumpkin meal! I'd love to get that recipe from you. What a wonderful Gramma we had. It's great to keep her with us through little things like dinner in a pumpkin. =) I do miss her and grandpa. I hope they are smiling down. (If they aren't right this moment it's only because they are in shock over the probable election results.)

kthom said...

Might I say that I am so very impressed. Granny Bev would definately be smiling and making sure that no one licked any spatulas, had any before dinner treats, or didn't eat as much dessert as she deemed appropriate. Love that woman and love you!

Emily Kern said...

I love meal in a pumpkin! I haven't thought of making one for years and I think I may very well be inspired, now that I have a lot more time on my hands sans election.

JenL said...

You make me laugh! I am impressed that you had 7 for 7 taste it and enjoy it for that matter. I think the only think my whole family will eat without complaining is pizza. Oh wait, and chicken nuggets.