Sunday, November 16, 2008

Too much Time on My Hands



Here's me and my Cael and some little green men. I love being a mom. I love my kids and I love being my kids' mom and I am thankful to be able to be home with them at this stage of my life. I so appreciate my husband picking up some extra work hours so I can do this. The stage I am at is what I would call BUSY--it's great, and it's busy. I have my 5 children and my sweet neighbor's little boy who is 3 (she passed away in September). I am serving as the Relief Society President in my ward (the Relief Society is the organization for the women of the LDS Church)--our ward is wonderful and has definitely had quite a round of challenges, especially in this last while. I am thankful to be able to serve in this calling and so thankful for a supportive family and I am also thankful for the knowledge that with every call, there comes a release...Anyway, between football for my oldest, my husband coaching football for my oldest, basketball for 2 of the kids, dance for 3 of them, school for 4 of the kids, trying to help in the classes of the 3 in elem. school, trying to help two 3-year-olds who are both the youngest adjust to being together a lot and playing "joyfully", then the other family, house, neighborhood, homework stuff plus trying to help the lovely 130 ladies in Relief Society, I definitely feel I've got a few things on my plate, I'm not "unbusy." So the other day, when one of my children's newer friends was at our house, it went a little something like this:

Kid friend: "Can I have some of what you're making?" (I was finishing a batch of muddy buddies to take over to a family in our ward whose dad/grampa had just passed away. Chocolate has universal comforting properties...)

Me: "Sure"

Kid Friend: "These are good--it seems like you are always making something when I am here."

Me: "I think you're always here when I'm getting dinner ready, so that's probably true."

Kid Friend: "You know what I think? I think you've got too much time on your hands!"

Yes, Kid Friend, that's it! I have got too much time on my hands, and thank you for pointing that out to me as you eat my muddy buddies that I so graciously shared with you. I look forward to more fantastic insights...

That took me back to an incident a few months ago: I thought I was being "fun mom"-actually, I thought I was "super fun mom" while my kids were off-track from school. My 3 girls and 3 other friend girls (who didn't want to be at home by themselves) were all there and I got them all set up for a fun kitchen project with aprons and individual dishes so they could all participate and have a fun afternoon activity! I thought we were doing great when one of them asked one of my girls why I didn't have a job, because I really should be at work. Aaah, another super insight! Oh well, sorry to disappoint, little lovelies. Meanwhile, I'll just try to make sure that you have a nice (and fun) place to be with snacks and band-aids when needed. It's so nice to have "fun mom" appreciated...

Maybe I'll actually get this all figured out someday, as I do it all again tomorrow...

6 comments:

JenL said...

Kids are so funny...or maybe not so much. These kinds of incidents make me wonder what crazy things my kids say to their friend's parents....or their primary teachers and school teachers. I'm probably better off not knowing...

Rachel and Ben said...

You've gotta love kids (and their smart friends)
You're so great! Thanks for all that you do!

Stacy said...

What a fun post! You most definitely do not have too much time on your hands with all that happens at your house.

Alison said...

This is so funny! Kids do say the darnest things. Well maybe with Christmas coming up you'll find some things to do to fill up your time. =)
I'm making my blog private soon. Email me for an invitation. alison at rcn dot com.

Jen Paris said...

I am laughing...OUT LOUD...too funny. At least you have a sense of humor about it and didn't slap someone else's kid. :)

Erin said...

too much time??? I love that. ANd i love muddy buddies. they are sooo good.